Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Critical Artist Expression by Gordon Springer


Nina Chanel Abney


Nina Chanel Abney’s painting depicting the tension between police and the black community
from her collection: Always a Winner

I must admit that I am not an art enthusiast. If you were to ask my artistic friends, they will gladly tell you that I am artistically clumsy, apathetic and inept. They might even say that the best way to conceal a secret from me is to hide it in the colors and textures of a painting. Recently, my attitude toward art changed after I stumbled upon an artistic masterpiece done by Nina Chanel Abney, a contemporary African American female artist and painter. Nina Chanel Abney was born in Harvey, Illinois in 1982 and attended Parsons school of design. Her arts and paintings explore a wide variety of topics relating to race, gender, and politics, etc. She is widely known for her colorful graphic large-scale paintings. During an interview with Vanity Fair, she confessed, “Whatever I feel like painting, I just paint it. For me, nothing is off-limits.” Her courage to tackle controversial topics is evidenced in her latest work. Four of her artistic masterpiece were chosen to be a part of Rubell Family Collection of the most important African-American artists of the last three decades. In her latest work listed above, she artistically explores the growing tension between police officers and the Africa American community. I was personally intrigued by this piece, since the current tension between police officers and the black community has garnered global and political attention. I love her usage of bold and vibrant colors. I anticipate exploring more of Ms. Abney's work in the future.

by Gordon Springer

No comments:

Post a Comment